So your essay's boring? You just don't live a fancy life! I mean, you live in the 'burbs, avoid trouble, get your work done, and you know the real names of the "Jersey Shore" cast and who got voted off "The Apprentice" this week.
OK. We get it. Look, what you need to do is engage your reader. Get him or her to identify with you. So how do you do that?
Well, I'll tell you how. Take a look at the previous paragraph. Look at it carefully. Notice: did I include any complex sentences? No. Did I use fragments that feel "natural" as if you might speak them aloud? You bet. Did I use a rhetorical questions? Uh huh. And one last thing: take a look at this paragraph... do you see a similar informality leading your eye and your inner "ear" in feeling the rhythms of the language.
You can also directly address your reader, e.g., "Not so exciting, right? I warned you it was going to be a little dry." This technique breaks the spell of the "analytic" style and lightens the mood by making it sound like you don't take yourself too seriously.
Some people say you should avoid big words, but I don't believe in that. I use big words all the time and it feels natural. Other people say you should avoid sounding formal, but I use transitions all the time too. I personally love "moreover" and "likewise." But I'm kind of a word geek; OK, I am a word geek, so yeah.
But the one thing you must must must do, is read it aloud. If you can't read it aloud without sounding like you're producing an oral report that will cure an insomniac, then you better rewrite Check the rhythm of your sentences--rhythm is the everything of conversational writing.
One last way to produce that light tone is to not be afraid to be a little witty. VERY light sarcasm can be a nice touch, especially if it's used to include a humorous (observed) detail.
Lastly, be yourself. You are selling yourself to the university and you'll be the one who must live there. I want you to be at the university that best suits your nature and personality. So let it shine.
Now get writing!
P.S. Read this post aloud and notice the conversational attitude that runs through it. Don't get too informal, but--hey!--lighten up!
No comments:
Post a Comment